Medical professionals use lasers, which are extremely focused light beams, to alter or remove tissue in small amounts. Laser surgery is not limited to dentistry, but many people have never heard of laser dentistry before having it done. Dentists use lasers in a variety of procedures involving the inside of the mouth, be it to remove overgrown tissue, to reshape the gums, or to whiten teeth. Sometimes, laser dentistry is ideal for children who become anxious or afraid when having dental work done.
What Laser Dentistry Can Treat
Most issues laser dentistry treats are related to the gums. Some of these include:
- Canker sore and cold sore pain treatments.
- Treating root canal infections.
- Treating gum disease.
- Removing gum inflammation.
- Gum reshaping.
- Exposing wisdom teeth.
- Removing throat tissue that causes sleep apnea.
- Regenerating damaged nerves.
- Removing benign oral tumours.